The report, Digitizing the Grid: Next Steps on Policy, looks to assist government officials with maximizing the benefits and minimizing the costs of digitization in the electric power sector. Further, the report explores how digitization can improve the efficiency, reliability, and performance of the power sector by helping key actors to better predict and respond to change.
- Establishing a task force, convened by the Department of Energy, to address issues of utility regulation and cost recovery;
- Including intelligent grid investment as part of national infrastructure legislation;
- Strengthening federal and industry leadership in cybersecurity;
- Integrating strategic digital workforce planning with other utility planning;
- Increasing federal R&D, and incentivizing private-sector R&D on grid digitization; and
- Conducting a U.S.-specific analysis of the potential public and private benefits of grid digitization.
BPC launched the Digitizing the Power Sector initiative to better understand the challenges and opportunities of digitization as applied to the electricity grid – one of our nation’s most complex infrastructure systems. This paper is the culmination of a six-month effort that included independent research, a public event with industry leaders, and a stakeholder dialogue.
To read the full report, click here.
Filed Under: Uncategorized