Compared with traditional cylindrical roller bearings for wind-gearboxes, SKF USA, Kulpsville, Pa., says its design carries greater load. SKF high capacity cylindrical roller bearings are improved for higher load ratings, for a higher safety factor, extended service life, and a higher power density.
Compared with full complement bearings the company is eliminating the risk of roller-to-roller smearing. Other design improvements reduce the risk of cage slip, fretting corrosion, ring creep, and flange fracture. These improvements result in enhanced reliability.
Also, these bearings are designed for improved lubrication with better oil film build up, resulting in reduced smearing risk and wear. The company lists these benefits for the recent design:
- Exchangeable with standard bearings
- New steel window-type cage
- Possibility for SKF Explorer class (PEX)
- Higher load carrying capacity
- Downsizing possibilities
- Extended service life
- Possibility for inspection of roller and cage assembly
- High cage strength due to shoulder guidance
- Lightweight cage in comparison to brass cage executions
- Reduced risk of smearing under light load conditions
Filed Under: Bearings, Components