ACCIONA Energy USA Global has announced $40,000 in college scholarships to 10 college-bound students from Illinois, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Dakota and Texas. With this year’s scholarships, the company has awarded more than $250,000 in scholarships to students from schools near its U.S. wind farms.
“When ACCIONA builds in a community, we invest in that community,” said Rafael Esteban, CEO of ACCIONA Energy USA Global LLC. “These students represent the next generation of innovators, and ACCIONA is proud to support their drive to build a better planet.”
Since awarding its first scholarship in 2009, the company has awarded in scholarships to more than 60 students.
This summer, 2017 scholarship winner Frederick Lapka is interning at the Tatanka Wind Farm, the project that sponsored his scholarship.
“The ACCIONA scholarship program helped me take the next step in my education, and with hard work, I’m hoping to launch a career in wind power,” Lapka said.
ACCIONA scholarships are available to students in counties where ACCIONA owns and operates wind farms. Tatanka Wind Farm in North and South Dakota, EcoGrove Wind Farm in Illinois, Red Hills Wind Farm in Oklahoma and at San Roman Wind Farm in Texas sponsor scholarships. The one-year scholarships range from $2,500 to $5,000, and are paid upon successful completion of a student’s first semester and enrollment in their second semester. The scholarships go to graduating high school seniors who are interested in careers in sustainability.
This year’s scholarship recipients are:
- EcoGrove Wind Farm (Stephenson Co., Illinois)
- Noah Trumpy, Lena Winslow High School (Lena, IL)
- Noah Milder, Lena Winslow High School (Lena, IL)
- Kolton Kaiser, Warren High School (Warren, IL)
- Madison Tesmer, Warren High School (Warren, IL)
- Red Hills Wind Farm (Roger Mills and Custer Cos., Oklahoma)
- Madison Gwartney, Hammon High School (Hammon, OK)
- San Román Wind Farm (Cameron Co., Texas)
- Louis Turrubiartes, Los Fresnos High School (Los Fresnos, TX)
- Charisma Valdez, Port Isabel High School (Port Isabel, TX)
- Tatanka Wind Farm (Dickey Co., North Dakota; McPherson Co., South Dakota)
- Addei Schnabel, Ashley High School (Ashley. ND)
- Josie Henningsen, Ellendale High School (Ellendale, ND)
- Lance Feickert, Leola High School (Leola, SD)
Filed Under: News