According to the organization, the growth and maturation in the operations and maintenance (O&M) sector of the wind industry has produced significant advances in how wind farms are managed. O&M improvements are able to affect revenue, equipment longevity, the health and well-being of employees along with a whole host of other benefits.
New approaches and novel applications of existing methods are making leaders stand out from their peers. To recognize these innovators CanWEA is calling for nominations of Canada’s best companies in the following categories:
- O&M Outstanding Achievement
- Health & Safety Excellence
Here is a description of each award along with some of the key considerations that will be used by the jury of experts to determine a winner.
O&M Outstanding Achievement Award
This award recognizes an organization that has demonstrated innovation through an initiative that exemplifies an industry leading approach to wind-power facility operations and maintenance. This CanWEA award is intended to honor organizations that have improved, or contributed significantly to the improvement of, the efficiency, profitability, and reliability of wind-farm operations in Canada.
- Is the activity novel, new or creative in its adaptation to wind O&M?
- Was it implemented with integrity, respect for others and highly reputable within the industry?
- Were operations improved in an identifiable way?
- Is it transferrable to the wider Canadian industry?
- Understanding that O&M achievements may span several years or be continuous, initiatives launched but not completed will be considered.
Health & Safety Excellence Award
This award is presented to an organization whose progressive approach to a health and safety program, action, or practice has directly improved the safety and well-being of wind-power plant employees, contractors or the public and set an example for the wind-energy industry in Canada.
- Is the activity a progressive achievement rather than a new implementation of the status quo?
- Is it a clear, direct application that made a difference?
- Does it serve as an inspiration for other sites either in direct application of the concept or the message that it sends?
- It may include programs, as well as specific actions or methods that may not have been in use.
- In addition to affecting onsite workers it may also include coordination with outside contractors coming onto the site and the general public.
If you’ve noticed organizations that are going above and beyond in their health and safety or general operational practices be sure to acknowledge them with your nomination. Or, if you have had the opportunity to work with a team of committed individuals who have made advances in these area, consider submitting a nomination form for your company.
Winners will be announced at the 2018 CanWEA O&M Summit in Toronto, January 30 to 31, 2018.
Filed Under: News