This event will showcase the vision and expertise of top business and technology leaders from the global composites industry and is presented with the JEC Americas Composites Show & Conferences at the Boston Convention and Exhibition Center, October 2 to 4, 2013. The program will help attendees understand macro trends affecting industry sectors including aeronautics and automotive, materials such as carbon, thermoplastics and biocomposites, and cutting-edge processing and design approaches.
“JEC Americas is a collaboration among many stakeholders,” says Frédérique Mutel, JEC President and CEO. “The Summit will feature speakers from Americas’ composite associations, universities, research centers, and companies including the University of California, MPACT Corporation, Johns Manville, Agilent Technologies, MSC Software, and Composites Innovation Centre. In addition, those presenting include multinational firms well established in North America, such as Chomarat, Siemens, SABIC, Daimler AG, and CarboTech. Working together, we are committed to providing an outstanding program for the composite industry as a whole, and for participants from the Americas and many global locations.”
The I.C.S. conference will highlight viewpoints of those who are breaking new ground in the composites industry. Plans are for top thinkers from business, technology, and government to share their insights in:
Design & processing forums
- Productivity & robotization session: Increasing productivity while maintaining the same level of quality, whether in materials or processes, is the main challenge here. Automation is the key to mass production in the composite materials industry from on-line quality control to post-machining, rework, and repair. Because of the high-level quality demanded by applications sectors such as aeronautics and automotive, automated production has faced many challenges.
- Biocomposites session: Global manufacturers in many sectors are generating a growing market pull for composite materials that can be used to create lighter, stronger products with reduced costs and energy consumption. Presenters in this session represent key components of this global movement to deliver the potential of biocomposites to the industry.
Application sector forums
- Automotive session: Composite materials have been used in the automotive industry since the 1930s. Areas of interest include fuel efficiency by reducing the weight of the whole vehicle, improving safety and crash worthiness, and strengthening of various parts.
- Aeronautics session: Composite materials here have been more and more widely used. Indeed, they offer the possibility to overcome obstacles that have been encountered when using individual materials. The key improvement they provide is structural strength comparable to metallic parts but at a lighter weight.
- Carbon session: Carbon fibers have long been used in high-quality but restrained industries, due to their high manufacturing cost. However, their unsurpassed strength-to-weight ratio has made carbon fibers necessary in application sectors such as wind, automotive, and aeronautics.
- Thermoplastics session: Over the last few decades, thermoplastic composites have gained market share and importance. The properties of thermoplastic composites, such as toughness and impact resistance, along with recyclability have created many new opportunities.
More than 100 presentations will also include:
- A large Education & Skills Village bringing together universities, industry organizations, academic groups, market associations, and scientific centers. Further, given Boston’s reputation as a center of higher education and technology development, JEC is granting students a 50% discount to attend the sixth I.C.S. conference, and complimentary access to the entire exhibit
- A presentation of an automation process chain
- A live demo of large-series reinforced thermoplastics parts manufacturing
- A poster session
- Three days of technical sales presentations
JEC Americas 2013
Filed Under: Events, News