Worldwide coatings manufacturer Hempel, launches its new versatile activated zinc primer, Hempadur Avantguard 860. This product combines best in class corrosion protection, at the level of an inorganic zinc silicate, with the application benefits of an epoxy.
Hempadur Avantguard 860 is specifically designed to protect steel structures in moderate to severe corrosive environments. It is the first of its class, specifically developed to overcome the problems experienced with zinc silicate primers application, without compromising corrosion protection and boosting productivity.
In response to general industry concerns over curing times and application properties of zinc silicates, Hempel’s new product, with a recoating interval of just one hour, offers at least four times faster drying than coating systems based on zinc silicates. Highly flexible and versatile, this new coating can be applied year-round and at temperatures down to 14˚F (-10°C) and with no restrictions on minimum relative humidity.
Oriol Osso, Group Product Manager, Energy, Hempel A/S says: “At Hempel, we constantly push ourselves to better meet the needs of our customers. Owners of assets in harsh environments demand the highest quality in corrosion protection. At the same time, applicators want a product that will help boost productivity. Hempadur Avantguard 860, based on Hempel’s proprietary activated zinc technology, delivers all this. We’ve further developed our ground-breaking Avantguard technology to reduce curing times and this saves time for applicators and, ultimately, for asset owners.”
“This new product further redefines anti-corrosion coatings to deliver best in class protection at a level the market expects from an inorganic zinc silicate (IOZ) but with the added application benefits of an epoxy. Avantguard 860 is the true challenger to inorganic zinc silicates.”
Hempadur Avantguard 860 is an SSPC Level 1 compliant two-component activated zinc-rich primer, that delivers excellent protection in severely corrosive environments. It incorporates Hempel’s patented Avantguard technology offering a unique combination against corrosion, providing an improved barrier, inhibitor and galvanic protections in a single coating for all-round performance.
Hempadur Avantguard 860 at a glance:
- Certified to the highest anticorrosive test requirements including NORSOK M-501 Ed.6 System 1, ISO 12944-6 Part 5, and Level 1 type II in SSPC Paint 20 2002 standards
- Based on Hempel’s advanced and proven Avantguard technology
- Fast drying: at least four times faster than zinc silicates – a three-coat system can be applied in a single shift
- High mud cracking resistance – two times better than coatings with inorganic zinc silicates
- Flexible application – wide application temperature range, can be applied in temperatures down to 14˚F/-10°C
- No need for a mist coat as required for inorganic zinc silicates.
Filed Under: Towers